Animals Asia Foundation
A favorite of Red Room author Maya Gottfried.
Mission: Animals Asia Foundation's mission is to protect animals from cruelty throughout Asia, focusing on two major issues:
- Ending bear farming and the trade in bear bile, and
- Ending the consumption of dogs and cats
Founder and CEO: Jill Robinson
Year founded: 1998
- Signed agreements with both the Chinese and Vietnamese governments to rescue 700 bears from the torture of bile farms, and bring them to the organization’s sanctuaries to live out their lives in peace and safety
- Has 249 rescued bears at sanctuaries in China and Vietnam, and over the years, the organization has rescued a total of 367 bears
- Closed down 43 Chinese bear farms and seen 20 of Mainland China’s 31 provinces become proudly bear farm-free
- Worked to reduce the demand for bile in Asia by promoting affordable, effective and cruelty free alternatives
- The organization's Cat and Dog Welfare program has more than 250 registered therapy dogs and their guardians volunteer in ten Asian cities, spreading their special brand of comfort and love to those in need in hospitals, orphanages, schools, and centers for the disabled.
Animals Asia Foundation is devoted to the welfare of wild and urban animals in Asia. The organization also work towards the conservation of endangered species. Animals Asia is an Asian-focused registered charity with headquarters in Hong Kong and offices in Australia, China, Germany, Italy, the UK and USA, as well as Moon Bear Rescue Centres in China and Vietnam. They have around 270 staff members worldwide.
To become more involved, volunteer, or donate, please contact Alice Ng, Development and Major Gifts, Animals Asia Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
–Huntington W. Sharp, Senior Editor, Red Room
Return to Causes We Support page.